In The Land of Free, we still keep on Rockin'

Plain and Fancy

"I hope for nothing, I fear nothing, I am free"


Monday, February 7, 2011

Parish Hall - Parish Hall (1970 us, excellent hard blues rock)



Parish Hall was a power trio from the California Bay Area. The band consisted of Gary Wagner (guitar, piano, vocals), John Haden (bass), and Steve Adams (drums). Specializing in a hard rock/blues rock sound, their album was originally released near the end of 1970 on a small local California record label.

Reminiscent of the sound of another popular trio of the day, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Parish Hall had begun to gain the recognition of some European collectors by the late 1990s, and originals have fetched high prices in collector's markets. All songs on this album are originals written by Wagner and hold up well when compared to other hard rock acts.
by Keith Pettipas


Tracks
1 My Eyes Are Getting Heavy - 5:16
2 Dynaflow  3:06
3 Ain't Feelin' Too Bad - 2:50
4 Silver Ghost - 2:53
5 Skid Row Runner - 3:19
6 Lucanna - 2:32
7 We're Gonna Burn Together - 2:37
8 Somebody Got the Blues - 3:02
9 How Can You Win? - 2:53
10 Take Me with You When You Go - 2:55
All songs written by Gary Wagner

Parish Hall
*Gary Wagner -Vocals, Guitar, Piano
*Steve Adams - Drums
*John Haden - Bass

Free Text
Free Text II

12 comments:

LarryD said...

Marios

John Haden (Bass Player)is a good friend of mine. He has lived down the street from me for about ten years and we had talked off and on about different things and then one day about four years ago we started talking about music and he said the he was in a band called Parish Hall in the 6o's. I said wow I love the band. He was blown away that I new of the band and that I had it on CD. I then proceeded to show him my record and CD collection.

Larry

betweenhellandheaven said...

ευχαριστώ πολύ Marios

john said...

NIce comment by LARRYD. I saw this album a couple of times in record stores but never bought it. You've wet my curiosity. I will listen to it today. Thank You.

adamus67 said...

I'm surprised, very good stuff. Thanks a lot.

mkraemer55 said...

Thank you.

pacAir said...

John Haden and I played in the band Right Hand Drive in the Portland Oregon area for about 5 years. John played guitar and I played bass.

John had great memories of Parish Hall and spoke of them frequently.

John Haden passed away on July 4, 2011. I am sure he would have appreciated if you would take a listen to the album in his honor.

Steve Kennedy
Aloha, OR

Marios said...

Thank you very much Steve Kennedy,
RIP John Haden.

pacAir said...

Here is a link to our rendition of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" which will be played at John's memorial service this weekend. John plays all the guitar parts, all lead vocals and he wrote a third verse for the song (the verse after the guitar solo). RIP John.

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Right Hand Drive (John Haden)

KMoeller said...

Browsing and saw that John Haden has passed a few years ago. My niece is Gary Wagner's Daughter. Gary and my sister never married, but they were together for several decades. Gary is a wonderfully talented musician, along with the rest of the Parish Halls Members. I am happy that their music is finally catching on again! Gary also has only good things to say about his time with the group.

Regards,
Katherine

Patrick Ong said...

If someone sees Gary Wagner or Steve Adams - wondering what they are doing now? - do let them know their music spread to the shores of Singapore (yes, that little dot country that is pretty oppressive)...although an reissue, I bought it off a psych music collector and love every minute of the album...RIP John Haden...

Patrick

Marios said...

.....Parish...Hall...Updated...

Adrian Butcher said...

I am fortunate to own this on vinyl. All three Parish Hall were great musicians. The album has a great live-in-the-studio feel.

The article says they recorded for a small local label. In fact it was Fantasy Records, which made millions off Creedence Clearwater Revival. However, I doubt that they invested much money in Parish Hall. The inner sleeve of my copy of the album has promotional pictures for all the CCR releases on one side and an image of CCR on the other. If I was in Parish Hall that would have pissed me off.