Originally recorded in 1971 by California's long-forgotten Betty, Handful is an interesting and frustrating album, but not because of any of the songs on it. The ten tracks are standard for the time period and show that the musicians were competent if not particularly imaginative songwriters. Opener "Boogie with You" has a distinct roadhouse feel reminiscent of the Doors or Canned Heat. Guitarists Mike McMahon and Anthon Davis lay down some funky guitar licks accented by Tom Jordan's piano and an able rhythm section comprising Al Rodriguez on drums and Kerry Kanbara on bass. And the other nine songs on the album are variations on this theme.
"Blind with Shame" contains some poppy guitar hooks and a catchy chorus, and "Thank You" replaces the piano with an organ and blues riffs with Moby Grape-inspired metal chords. On "Lights Gonna Shine," the band travels the farthest afield by trading out the shouted lyrics and boogie sensibility of the other tracks for a more folk-oriented point of view.
Listening to the album does pique an interest in the band that put them together, and in that regard Shadoks Music misses out. There was a huge opportunity here to track down the members of the band for interviews and have them put Handful into both an artistic and a historic context. It's nearly impossible not to wonder what became of Betty.
by Mike Burr
1. Boogie With You (Anthon Davis) - 2:53
2. Blind With Shame (Anthon Davis) - 2:60
3. Just For Fun (Mike Mcmahon, Anthon Davis) - 4:01
4. High Rollin' On The Freeway (Lee Marks, Anthon Davis) - 3:33
5. River Bummin' (Lee Marks, Anthon Davis) - 3:35
6. Handful (Of Love) (Mike Mcmahon, Anthon Davis) - 3:19
7. Thank You (Lee Marks, Anthon Davis) - 4:09
8. Learn How To Boogie (Lee Marks, Anthon Davis) - 3:28
9. Harley Perdoo (Lee Marks, Anthon Davis) - 3:23
10.Lights Gonna Shine (Mike Mcmahon, Anthon Davis) - 3:05
*Al Rodriguez - Drums
*Mike McMahon - Guitar
*Kerry Kanbara - Bass, Vocals
*Anthon Davis - Lead Vocals, Guitar
*Tom Jordan - Keyboards
*Lee Marks - Chorus
*Ed O'Donnell - Chorus
Free Text II