In The Land of Free, we still keep on Rockin'

Plain and Fancy

"I hope for nothing, I fear nothing, I am free"


Thursday, February 17, 2011

Humble Pie - Performance/Rockin' The Fillmore (1971 uk, great hard blues rock)


Recorded in 1971, shortly before guitarist Peter Frampton left the band, ROCKIN' presents Humble Pie live at New York City's Fillmore East. The British blues-rock group charges through a sweaty, high-octane set (originally released as a double LP) that includes the blistering stompers "Four Day Creep," "Stone Cold Fever," and "I Don't Need No Doctor."

Although the entire ensemble is in top form on this seven-song disc, the record is a showcase for the astoundingly powerful vocals of former Small Faces frontman Steve Marriott (who, in his hard-rock mode, prefigures AC/DC's Bon Scott) and the heavy-blues riffage of Frampton (surprisingly enough, the guy could wield an axe), who would, of course, go on to record his own wildly successful concert album later in the decade.

A powerful live recording whose weak moments in no way mitigate its overall impact. The good music here is so good that once you hear it, you'll want to own it.
Rolling Stone


Tracks
1. Four Day Creep
2. I'm Ready
3. Stone Cold Fever
4. Walk on Gilded Splinters
5. Rollin' Stone
6. Hallelujah, I Love Her So
7. I Don't Need No Doctor

Humble Pie
*Steve Marriott - Vocals, Guitar, Harmonica, Keyboards
*Peter Frampton - Vocals, Guitar
*Jerry Shirley - Drums
*Greg Ridley - Bass, Vocals

Free Text

8 comments:

Mike Hunt said...

I saw them on this tour in the Spring of 1971 in Minnesota.
It was at a National Guard Armory One of the greatest and loudest concerts I ever attended.
They were wonderful.
I've been a big fan of the Pie ever since.

Hotroder said...

This is a great live album and i have had this since i was a teenager.
So thanks for the flac Marios,all the best.

Gradese said...

great site, thanks!
Can you please tell me if Marriott on the left or on he right channel of the Fillmore recording?

Thanks,
Anna

Marios said...

Hi Anna,
I suppose you're talking about the song "I Walk on Gilded Splinters",
left channel for Peter Frampton, right channel for Steve Steve Marriott.

Tommy Duque said...

Thanks a lot Marios, I'm a big fan of Steve Marriott

Anna said...

Links are dead, reupload please.

Marios said...

Anna,
this has been upgraded to a 4 disc set, see here:
http://rockasteria.blogspot.gr/2013/11/humble-pie-performance-rockin-fillmore.html

Anna said...

I haven't noticed it so far. Thank you, it's more than I could expect! All the best Marios, and thank you for your wonderful work here!